Under the general supervision of the Controller, the Payroll Specialist is responsible for all aspects of the payroll function including, but not limited to, payroll processing and payment, Per Capita Distribution processing and payment, stipend processing and payment, payroll tax and garnishment processing and payment, and account reconciliation and analysis. The position must be able to coordinate with the Human Resources department on matters of employment, salaries and benefits, with the Tribal Benefits & Administration department concerning Per Capita payments, deductions and taxation, and with all other departments concerning time reporting and approval.
Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the duties and responsibilities mentioned above, the following are essential duties of this position:
- Must be able to establish, maintain and report on payroll records for:
- employee payroll.
- Per Capita Distributions.
- Tribal health insurance reimbursements.
- Must be able to, in a tribal environment, understand, apply, account for and pay over:
- payroll tax deductions.
- benefit deductions.
- other deductions, garnishments and judgments as they pertain to both payroll benefits and per capita payments.
- Develop and maintain procedures for the proper operation of the payroll function.
- Prepare and file (electronically where required) appropriate filings for:
- quarterly and annual state and federal tax returns.
- annual wage reporting (W-2).
- annual information return (1099s for Per Capita Distributions).
- periodic insurance, worker’s compensation and retirement benefit (401K) reports and returns.
- other returns, reports and filings as are required.
- Prepare analytical data and report on all aspects of the payroll function including pay changes, departmental payroll cost analyses, etc.
- Reconcile all payroll related accounts including payroll and payroll tax liabilities.
- Possess the understanding and ability to pay payroll, stipends and Per Capita Distribution by ACH (direct deposit) and by check.
- Ensure cash accounts for pre-funded benefits are sufficient for benefit activity.
- Monitor self-insurance program reserves and payment details to ensure proper accounting of benefits.
- Properly calculate and account for accrued leave benefits including vacation, sick, and traditional leave accruals.
- Be able to accept and adapt to new and different situations.
- Knowledge and/or experience in a fund accounting environment.
- Act as backup for the account analyst.
- Other duties as assigned.