Native Village of Eyak
The Ilanka Community Health Center Registered Nurse provides support and assistance to medical providers and coordinates direct patient care while facilitating patient flow within the clinic. Ilanka Community Health Center promotes a team based approach to care.
This position establishes methods and procedures for attaining specific goals and objectives, and receives guidance in terms of broad goals. Only the final results of work are typically reviewed.
- Provides direct patient care:
- Assesses patients for urgency of needs and prioritizes by acuity in a professional and friendly manner.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality, which includes only accessing appropriate information needed to perform job duties.
- Follows standard precautions.
- Maintains exam room protocols and ensures rooms are stocked and cleaned in a timely manner as specified by clinic procedure.
- Starts intravenous infusions, takes vitals, performs 12 lead EKG and rhythm strip, fits heart holster monitors, sets up and administers nebulizers, administers injections, performs vision and hearing tests.
- Collects laboratory specimens including phlebotomy.
- Initiates and coordinates referrals when Care Coordinator is unavailable.
- Responsible for lab result notification and documentation.
- Assists with infectious disease reporting.
- Documents and administers vaccinations.
- Sets up and assists medical providers with procedures and treatments including minor surgical procedures, wound/burn care, and well-women exams.
- Ensures all necessary equipment is sterilized per AMA best practices.
- Performs CLIA waived lab tests.
- Implements standing orders, as approved by the Medical Director.
- Prioritizes phone calls and returns call within designated guidelines.
- Participate in clinical team huddles daily.
- Assesses patient’s knowledge base and learning style and provides patient teaching as needed or requested.
- UDS clinical measures: Assists when needed to capture data using Electronic Health Record and manual audits, submit reports using EHR, HQM and EHB.
- Primary or secondary for employee health records and maintenance, vaccination and
- declination tracking on a regular basis. Implement and maintain regulatory standards, policies and procedures.
- Maintains accurate and appropriate records and documentation of nursing care.
- Assists with the Quality Assurance process.
- Assist providers in using and troubleshooting electronic medical records software.
- Use Electronic Medical Records for day-to-day record keeping, which includes accurate entry/scanning of information into patient charts as well as ensuring information is only released to authorized entities.
- Participates in Native Village of Eyak outreach events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ilanka RN must have one a minimum of one year of experience in a clinical setting.
The successful applicant must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Ilanka Registered Nurse must have a current Alaska RN license. Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Be knowledgeable in established nursing concepts, principles and practices.
- Possess and maintain BLS certification
- Complete continuing education requirements as set out by the Alaska Board of Nursing to maintain licensure.
- Skilled in medical procedures, terminology, uses and effects of medicine and narcotics and basic medical equipment.
- Skilled in-patient assessment.
- Demonstrate technical skill when providing direct patient care, including vital signs, medication administration, patient education, IV insertion and phlebotomy.
- Understand recommended vaccination schedule and catch up schedule per age.
- Have the ability and desire to instruct and teach both patients and CNAs.
- Demonstrate good interpersonal and human relations skills.
- Must have the ability to plan work, establish priorities and remain flexible.
- Required to understand and work within the guidelines of the Department of Health and Human Services HIPAA Act and Privacy Rule.
- Must have the knowledge or skills to operate and/or learn specialized software and computer programs.
- Required to have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be neat and clean, and present a calm and caring manner.
- Must be able to be physically active for long periods of time to ensure patient care and safety.
- Must work well under pressure, be able to empathize and care for a variety of patients, including low-income and diverse cultures, in stressful situations. Performance standard Regularly bend and/or crouch for long periods of time to perform patient medical services. Regularly use fine motor skills at a heightened ability to perform procedures. Typically use sight, smell, and touch to complete job tasks accurately. Typically lifts 15 lbs. to coordinate work. Occasionally assist in lifting patients in excess of 100 lbs. Regularly manipulate electronic data to gather, input and otherwise coordinate work. Regularly use cognitive, oral, and written methods to complete work.
Work will be completed in an outpatient clinic.
Exposure to Hazards
Category I: Tasks routinely involve a potential for mucous membrane or skin contact exposure to blood, fluids or tissue. Use of personal protective equipment (PPE), when appropriate, is required.
Nothing in this job description restricts NVE’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. By signing below, I acknowledge receipt of this job description and that my supervisor has discussed it with me.