Bishop Paiute Tribe
To provide a successful, safe and supervised educational setting for children while they are in the Head Start environment (classroom, outdoor play area, and field trips); to promote the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development of preschool children in line with relevant Head Start standards; to encourage parent involvement in all aspects of the program; to develop individual goals for children based on continual assessment and evaluation of progress to develop the skills required to facilitate a successful transition into kindergarten.
- Maintains daily lesson plan book and is responsible for the ordered learning environment and décor of the classroom.
- Supervises children individually and in small groups. Should be constantly aware of the needs of every child. Considers the individual child in relationship to his cultural and social economic background - treating each child and their parents with dignity and respect. Implements methods for effectively utilizing the services of classroom aides and volunteer assistants.
- Attends all mandatory events as instructed by the Director
- Assumes an equal share of the joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff.
- Plans and implements methods of establishing positive liaison with parents and staff.
- Any other tasks instructed by the Director that is deemed necessary for the smooth operation of Head Start. Responsible for own class record keeping and entering data into the software program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise Teacher Aide for their classroom. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Decision Making-the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully to make the responsible decision.
- Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things. • Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings.
- Customer Oriented – the individual delivers excellent service to both internal and external customers in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Time Management—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans. • Detail Oriented—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Reliability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance. • Organized—the individual keeps clean and organized workspace and projects. • Motivated—the individual inspires self and others about them to get the job done and follow through on tasks.
Experience and Education:
- Possess or in the process of an Associate Degree or higher in Early Childhood Education or related field.
- Possess or in the process of obtaining a State of California State Preschool Teaching Permit.
- Fingerprint and background clearance and Pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Show proof of having had a current medical examination, TB skin test and Hepatitis inoculation. If requirements are not current must consent and complete before employment and be maintained annually.
- Comply with the Driving Policy, Drug, Alcohol and Contraband-Free Policy and Pre-Employment Selection Policy.
- Possess CPR and First Aid certification and a food-handling certificate, or willing to take classes immediately upon hire.